Royal Commission to examine child sexual abuse responses at Yeshivah Centre and Yeshivah College
15 December 2014
Manny Waks, pictured outside Yeshivah College in St Kilda East last year (photo: News Limited).
A ROYAL Commission investigating child sexual abuse will hold a public hearing into Melbourne’s Yeshivah Centre and St Kilda East’s Yeshivah College.
The Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse has announced the February 2 hearing will be streamed live online.
It will investigate how the Yeshivah Centre and Yeshivah College responded to allegations of child sexual abuse made against former employees David Cyprys, David Kramer and Aaron Kestecher.
It will also look at the systems, policies and procedures of how allegations were reported and responded to.
It will examine the Yeshivah Centre Melbourne, Yeshivah-Beth Rivkah colleges, the Yeshiva Centre — Chabad NSW, and Yeshiva College Bondi.
Jewish victims advocate Manny Waks welcomed the announcement.
“I have advocated tirelessly for this public hearing to take place so I feel a great sense of vindication and accomplishment,’’ he said.
“I believe that had both centres responded appropriately when this scandal became public over the last few years, we probably would not have ended up with today’s announcement. So these major Chabad institutions really have only themselves to blame — although I accept that I will continue to be their scapegoat, sadly something I’ve become accustomed to,’’ he said in a statement.
Originally published at Herald Sun.