Manny Waks has all the right to demand justice for the appalling things that happened to him, however, going to the well known anti semitic paper that relishes any news that can damage the Jewish people is not justified.
No other paper took up his story, and I suspect that the AJN [Australian Jewish News] is being hassled by a member of the family to put it all to print.
He can go to a Din Torah [Jewish Court], and demand that police be involved to bring the perpertrators to justice.
Under the circumstances he would have gotten a lot of support.
People here in crown heights have been questioning Waks' motives for going public to the press. They have also questioned his qualification as a leader in the local Jewish community, and they are wondering if this is a publicity stunt.
So only days after a victim of repeated sexual abuse by two Melbourne Yeshivah Centre paedophiles finally musters the courage to disclose his abuse publicly - after seeking redress through the police and the Yeshivah leadership - one of the most senior current Yeshivah officials:
1. Slams the victim for sharing their story with an "antisemitic" publication, which also happens to be one of Australia's most respected newspapers.
2. Falsely asserts that (a) no other publication wanted to take up the victim's story, and (b) the AJN is being hassled by a family member to pursue this matter.
3. Expects the (secular) victim to participate in a Jewish Court process.
4. Makes it clear that the victim does not have their community's support because the victim reluctantly shared their story with the media.
5. Questions the victim's motives for sharing their story with the media.
6. Questions the victim's qualifications as a Jewish leader - despite the victim holding numerous senior leadership positions since 2006.
7. Accuses the victim of sharing his very personal story as part of some publicity stunt.
And Rabbi Kluwgant is considered a moderate.
Make no mistake about it, many in that community hold similar views. They just haven't put it in writing.
This is what we are dealing with.